Monday, December 11, 2006

the most amazing dinner.

I had the most amazing Indian food last night. Better than New Bombay or Swagat. Bollywood doesn’t count, just because I feel its way too “commercial”. I had dinner at my dad’s graduate program student whose Indian. She hosted a dinner for the school’s artist-in- residence artist from Austria and so she invited the whole family. I normally would decline dinners my dad would have to go to, but I make exceptions lalo na pag alam ko its food that I wont get to eat any where else or the host’s house is interesting (read: looky-loo). I knew from the start that the host was Indian, and I kinda figured it out that they would serve authentic Indian food. I was really stoked I tagged along despite feeling all crappy.

Food was lutong bahay, and she cooked everything herself. I forgot to mention that she was a mom, so that made everything even more special (personally). Lutong bahay na luto ng mommy is always good! I have friends whose mom’s cooking are a joy to feast on. So I got my fill on samosas for appetizers and the rest of the most delightful Indian spread ive seen in my whole life for dinner. Dessert was interesting, there was this sort of almond/rice/milk custard watchamacallit and a sort of bread pudding with cinnamon and raisins. Everything I tried out was really good! Contrary to others who think that Indian food is such a strong palette to begin with, my dinner was very subtle with spices. The flavors crept into my taste buds and would explode with this weird tingly feeling of excitement from such an awesome array of food I was having.

The house was typical posh village feel. But what I liked about it is that the space was specked will objects and bric-a-brac from all over the world. They (the family) have traveled from all over since the husband holds post in this huge international company and gets assigned to all over. My parents do the same thing, everytime they go visit a country, they make sure to pick up stuff that could be placed in our home. So our home tends to look eclectic.. I want my home to be like this too! Filled to the brim of stuff from my travels. So far I have a couple things I really love. Like my Vietnamese hand embroidered monkey, Chinese cigarette posters from HK and Wooden jacks from the 60’s I picked up in Brooklyn. I really like being a looky-loo. I want to post about this soon.

ANYWAY!

Im going to have thai food later for dinner at Soms. I cant wait to guzzle down hot and sour soup!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home