mom AND dad.
My xmas party post and photos have to wait., because…
Today my folks celebrate their 31st year of marriage bliss. I think they are a rare breed these days… I know a lot of kids whom their parents have split up. Its sad, but its fastly becoming common. ANYWAY, I dedicate this post to my ‘rents.

my mom and dad's pre-wedding photo...
My mom met my dad shortly after she turned 18. It was sort of accidental, since my dad went to my mom’s house to accompany his friend who was courting my mom’s elder sister. To make the story short, my dad and my mom’s sister didn’t end up together, but my mom and dad did. My mom and dad married when they were 23 and 26 (respectively), shortly after my dad’s first solo exhibition at CCP in 1975. I asked them once when did they decide to tie the knot, my mom says na they always wanted to get married agad. As in parang nagmamadali daw sila, and the only ones that stopped them from getting married were my dad’s parents who lived in the US and wanted to be home when they got married. By my standards, I think they kinda married early, but that’s no comparison to my lola (mom’s) who married at 18 and had my tito during the WorldWar 2. By today’s standards, couples wed around their late twenties to early thirties. Excluding teen pregnancy which usually ends up with another mistake, teen marriage (something I could relate to… not that I have a kid nor do I have been married).
So yeah, going back to my folks. Not only are they just together for 31 years now, but they have been madly in love. As if it was just their first month of married life. They’re mushy, overly sweet with each other, being super PDA(blech!) and I could write and fill a whole page with a list of their terms of endearment for each other. I swear, my parents are like teenagers… my dad mostly.
I’m really thankful for being been born to my folks. Them being married all these years, beady-eyed and in love. These 31 amazing years for them have been a blessing not only to them but for us kids too. Because of that, I think they were pretty much able to raise us properly with over flowing love… Thank you god, that I have a mom AND a dad.
Today my folks celebrate their 31st year of marriage bliss. I think they are a rare breed these days… I know a lot of kids whom their parents have split up. Its sad, but its fastly becoming common. ANYWAY, I dedicate this post to my ‘rents.

my mom and dad's pre-wedding photo...
My mom met my dad shortly after she turned 18. It was sort of accidental, since my dad went to my mom’s house to accompany his friend who was courting my mom’s elder sister. To make the story short, my dad and my mom’s sister didn’t end up together, but my mom and dad did. My mom and dad married when they were 23 and 26 (respectively), shortly after my dad’s first solo exhibition at CCP in 1975. I asked them once when did they decide to tie the knot, my mom says na they always wanted to get married agad. As in parang nagmamadali daw sila, and the only ones that stopped them from getting married were my dad’s parents who lived in the US and wanted to be home when they got married. By my standards, I think they kinda married early, but that’s no comparison to my lola (mom’s) who married at 18 and had my tito during the WorldWar 2. By today’s standards, couples wed around their late twenties to early thirties. Excluding teen pregnancy which usually ends up with another mistake, teen marriage (something I could relate to… not that I have a kid nor do I have been married).
So yeah, going back to my folks. Not only are they just together for 31 years now, but they have been madly in love. As if it was just their first month of married life. They’re mushy, overly sweet with each other, being super PDA(blech!) and I could write and fill a whole page with a list of their terms of endearment for each other. I swear, my parents are like teenagers… my dad mostly.
I’m really thankful for being been born to my folks. Them being married all these years, beady-eyed and in love. These 31 amazing years for them have been a blessing not only to them but for us kids too. Because of that, I think they were pretty much able to raise us properly with over flowing love… Thank you god, that I have a mom AND a dad.

3 Comments:
my parents naman celebrated their 26th wedding anniv yesterday. grabe no? ang tagal na din.. :) the funny thing is, they never really like to tell us how they got together, etc. and i know it's because it was during high school and it will totally water down their "no bfs in high school" rule (which my sister has now legitimately broken, hehe. legit, coz she told them. haha!)
i know lots of people whose folks also got married ng december. it must be the weather.. haha! :)
ako naman, came from a wedding yesterday.. and the priest said there are four things essential to a marriage: COMMITMENT, COMMUNICATION, CRISIS RESOLUTION, and CHRIST. i guess each successful marriage is always a great story to tell..
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home